K-Low: I heard you went to the bigass event, Ministry of Sound last night. And I couldn’t make it there because I’m home sick, can you tell me a little about it?
Joel Smiel: As always Ministry of Sound in Malmo is the biggest event of the year. This year the line-up was a bit sad but I was looking forward to see Norman Doray perform live. I arrived a bit late at around 2.30 but the party was at its peak. Mr. Doray really delivered… Good mixing and great house. My new mixtape is very similar to the style he played yesterday. Much new Latin-influenced house wmc09. I loved the VIP section this year, it was really sick to have private entry, closet, bathroom, lounge-DJ, two bars, and smoking area… Really sick.
K-Low: Awesome dude. What is your biggest priority when you get booked for a cool house gig?
Joel Smiel: I only accept cool house gigs :) biggest priority is to deliver. I play every gig as if it was my last. And I put very much effort into my mixes and mash-ups. I want to present different styles of house because I love them all. And of course, give love to the crowd. Hard to say one biggest priority. The whole deal is important to me… and my effort is huge
K-Low: You’ve mentioned that you’re sitting at your computer doing some awesome prods. Tell me some about your latest projects?
Joel Smiel: I try to enter remix-competitions to get the exposure I want. My latest remix was for a Fedde le Grand track and the winners got a release on cr2… That’s my dream, to release something on a big label. I didn’t win, this time and recently I have been working on and finally finished a new original by myself. Though it’s really hard to combine a full day job and be a DJ and producer. There is so little time and so much you can and should do if you want to get to a higher level. Though I don’t think I’m the only one with this problem.
K-Low: I kinda know this feeling as a photographer and DJ, haha. What can I, Skyjacker, Ridge and everybody else expect of you in the nearest future?
Joel Smiel: Hopefully my latest track will be signed and released and then I’m throwing a huge party. And of course, a lot of skilled DJ action in the booth.
K-Low: Thank you for your time Mr. Smiel. HMWL wish you all of luck.
Joel Smiel: Thank you, great blog!
1. Christian Key – Hey Boy, Hey Girl (Nick Corline Mix)
2. Giorgio Giordano – Amazzonia (David Tort Remix)
3. Blacktron – Our Dream (Original Mix)
4. Jose Delgado ft. Kelly Pink – Esa Batucada (Original Mix)
5. Radioclit – Divine Gosa (Kevstar’s Latin Remix)
6. Angello, Axwell, Ingrosso, LBL – Leave The World Behind (Alvaro Remix)
7. Seductive vs. Gregor Salto – Underground Mexer (Fruity Fresh Mash-up)
8. Flow 212 – Ritmo Do Meu Flow feat. Rusty & Overule (Mastiksoul Smash Mix)
9. Niels Van Gogh Vs. Dave Ramone – Dreamer (Sunloverz Remix)
10. Will Smith – Miami (Laidback Luke Bootleg)
11. Richard Grey vs. Erick Morillo – Life Goes On (2009 Remix)
12. Alvita – Freaky Motherfucker (Original Mix)
13. Inna – Hot (Malibu Breeze Remix)
14. Abel Ramos & Mark Simmons – Cava (Abel Ramos Amsterdam With Love Mix)
15. Boris Rush – Miami Push (Ralvero Remix)
16. Chris Kaeser – The Rhythm Of The Beat (Original Mix)
17. Fao vs. Chuckie – Bass Kick In Miami (Inphinitys WMC 09 Mix)
18. L.B.G. – As Good As My Love (Bart B More Remix)
19. Steve Angello Feat Robin S – Show Me Love (Afrojack Remix)
20. Alvaro – Rock The Festival (Original Mix)
21. Mowgli – Pa Po Pon (Chris Kaeser Mix)
22. Fedde Le Grand – Get This Feeling (Joel Smiel Bootleg) (zShare/Yousendit)
23. Sidney Samson – Riverside (Ralvero Remix)
24. Chris Kaeser – Who’s in the House (Original Mix)
25. Nightcrawlers – Push The Feeling On (Abel Ramos Mix) (zShare/Yousendit)
26. Domino – I Will Rock You (Dada Life Guerilla Fart #9)
27. Feel Good Productions, Fish & Chips – Bouncing In Draut (D.O.N.S. & DBN Remix)
28. Sil – Windows (Ralvero Remix)